著者: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
題目: [exim] Re: Message ID length change: Expected?
On 2023-11-14, Kris Oye via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> After re-reading the release notes, I see this footnote:
>
> "Notable changes:
>
> - The internal (but exposed in logs, Received: headers and Message-ID: headers)
>     identifier used for messages is longer than in the previous release"
>
> I guess this was my warning?

This message is not an answer to your issues, more a dicussion of how
this impacts me.

Exim seems to document many features exactly once. it's a double-
edged sword, the docs are short enough to read, but you need to pay
attention.

> I thought I "future proofed" myself by allocating up to 20 bytes in
> my schema.  Most of my sprocs actually use 25, but I have found at
> least one table that only had 20.

Fortunately for me I'm using postgresql here and it only supports fixed lengh
char fields as a subclass of variable length char field (and I don't
bother to fix the length), so accomodating this for me will mostly be
updating regex and other places where I make exim_message_id structure
assumptions, I'm not expecting to need to rewrite any database tables.

Config setting "localhost_number" doesn't have anough scope for me so I've
been using the high bits of the process-id field for host number and this
change gives me more room there, so I've got some source patches that will
need to be rewritten for that.

Given this change localhost number should now support the range 0..28
although the documentation still says 0..16 but the range for case
insensitive systems will be recuced if section 3.4 is correct.
https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-how_exim_receives_and_delivers_mail.html#SECTmessiden

for me 0..28 is not quite enough, so I'll be rewriting my patch, also alowing
me to keep the same non-contiguous set of integer ids rather than need
to renumber into 0..28.

--
Jasen.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні