[exim] Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on

Góra strony
Autor: Luis F. V. Gomes
Dla: exim-users
Temat: [exim] Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on
As asked from Jeremy Harris <jgh@???>, I am sending some log
lines and part of /etc/aliases.

I sent 2 messages to the list I'm on.

On the first message I put myself in the Bcc field (that's what I
usually do)

    2023-11-06 16:30:38 *1r05Is-003wbk-2b* <= lf@???
    <mailto:lf@ele.puc-rio.br> H=x.xx.xxx ([127.0.0.1]) [My.ip.addr]
    P=esmtpsa X=TLS1.3:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:128 CV=no
    A=dovecot_plain:lf S=978
    id=dcf6f987-3539-4e7d-9e3b-74a53d8e26fd@??? T="#TESTE#"
    from <lf@???> fot the_list@??? *lf@???

    *And received the message (once):

    2023-11-06 16:30:38 1r05Is-003wbk-2b => lf <the_list@???>
    F=<lf@???> R=localuser T=local_delivery S=1117 QT=0s DT=0s

After, I sent a second test message without Bcc

         2023-11-06 16:36:15 *1r05OJ-003wv4-1V* <= lf@???
    H=x.xx.xxxr ([127.0.0.1]) [My.ip.address] P=esmtpsa
    X=TLS1.3:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:128 CV=no A=dovecot_plain:lf S=3738
    id=855a0d8e-b64b-4f94-8215-9874b36633ba@??? T="Fwd:
    #TESTE 2#" from <lf@???> for the_list@???

    And received the message (once) as well:

    2023-11-06 16:36:15 *1r05OJ-003wv4-1V* => lf
    <the_list@???> F=<lf@???> R=localuser
    T=local_delivery S=3857 QT=0s DT=0s

Then  indeed exim seems to be sending the message to me as a member of
the list. On the other hand, it seems that exim is ignoring my email
being in the Bcc field, otherwise I would have received 2 copies of the
message: one for being on the list, and a second copy as being on the
Bcc field. I checked in my /var/spool/mail/lf/Maildir/cur and there is
only one copy of the message.

And the exim.conf part that handles /etc/aliases is

    system_aliases:
       driver = redirect
       allow_fail
       allow_defer
       data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
    # user = exim
       file_transport = address_file
       pipe_transport = address_pipe

What's going on? Can you help?

Thank you.

On 2023-11-01 10:15, Luis F. V. Gomes via Exim-users wrote:

> Hello, Jarland
>
> That's an important observation. One of the members of the list does
> .forward the messages to GMail and may complaint. But the fact is that
> the list I'm talking about does not have any gmail account.
>
> Thank you.
>
> On 2023-11-01 09:50, Jarland Donnell via Exim-users wrote:
>> Hopefully my reply is excess and irrelevant, but it may be worth
>> noting. We most commonly receive this complaint from our users when a
>> Gmail account is on the alias list, and that same Gmail account sends
>> the email to that alias. This being because Gmail uses a conversation
>> view that doesn't drop an unread message in your inbox which is the
>> exact same one you just sent, presumably because you wouldn't need a
>> new unread message in your inbox that you just sent.
>>
>> On 2023-10-30 15:00, Luis F. V. Gomes via Exim-users wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> With exim, if you are a member of a list defined in /etc/aliases and
>>> you send a message to this list, you don't receive a copy of the
>>> message you sent. Can we change this?
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Luís Gomes