[exim] Re: Problem with exim_tidydb after upgrading to 4.96

Author: Marcin Gryszkalis
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Problem with exim_tidydb after upgrading to 4.96
On 8.09.2023 12:16, Mike Clarke via Exim-users wrote:
> I've just upgraded from 4.95 to 4.96 and have started to have problems with exim_tidydb
> Exim version 4.96 #1 (FreeBSD 13.2) built 29-Aug-2023 15:38:40

I had similar problem on FreeBSD but on 12.4 (and visible after upgrade
from 4.95 to 4.96).

I think that on FreeBSD dbm doesn't use file pair mode (.pag + .dir) but
only one-file-mode with .db

I was getting in main exim log:

failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/retry: File exists
failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/wait-remote_smtp: File exists

and also for once=

R=mysql_vacation T=vacation_autoreply
defer (17): File exists DT=0s: Failed to open ndbm file
/mail/db/once-e31077438ea612e370820729a6503c11.db when sending message

owners are not changed and privileges are proper but hints are not saved.

in config I had
once = /mail/db/once-${md5:${local_part}@${domain}}.db

There's changelog entry for probably related change in 4.96:

JH/20 When built with NDBM for hints DB's check for nonexistence of a
name supplied as the db file-pair basename. Previously, if a directory
path was given, for example via the autoreply "once" option, the DB
file.pag and file.dir files would be created in that directory's parent.

https://github.com/Exim/exim/commit/7d238090f5fbd23d7077eba95c1ba8f2ee016a00

I think this is what happened (not that I understand why)
1. in 4.95 exim used retry file as database
2. in 4.96 exim used retry.db file as database
3. but the check noticed existence of old "retry" (which was not
directory) and failed

Nevertheless, I stopped exim, deleted all files from /var/spool/exim/db
and from /mail/db (my place for once- files), restarted and now it seems
to work well.

If I'm right with the guess above then maybe this could be a bit more
robust - because it breaks upgrade process in a bit non-obvious way.

best regards
--
Marcin Gryszkalis, PGP 0xA5DBEEC7 http://fork.pl/gpg.txt