[exim] Re: Is sender verification possible on a server that …

Góra strony
Autor: Mario Emmenlauer
Dla: exim-users, Viktor Dukhovni
Temat: [exim] Re: Is sender verification possible on a server that is used as a smarthost?
On 04.10.23 19:22, Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-users wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 12:49:29PM -0400, Chris Siebenmann via Exim-users wrote:
>
> Sure, one can expose every internal host as a reachable email subdomain,
> optionally equivalent to the main domain, but this is not a good idea.
>
> Email addresses persist in mailboxes for years or even decades, and
> sometimes even very dated messages elicit legitimate responses.
> Exposing internal namespace structure rather gets in the way of keeping
> email addresses valid for the long-term.
>
> Rather than leak user@<somehost>.domain forms out to the public
> Internet, explain and solve the real problem that not masquerading
> all users behind the primary domain is supposed to solve???

I'm sorry, I should have better motivated my goal!

So for me, the exim email system on the desktop computers is exclusively used
by the Linux operating system. I do not enable incoming email, so all mails are
generated by the various services that come with Linux. Some of these services
are operated intentionally by me, like logcheck and monit. But some are just
basic system services that tend to report relevant information via email, often
to root.

Now most of these emails are not of very high priority to me. But it seems good
to collect them somewhere to stay in the loop. Therefore I'd like to collect
basically all system email of basically all desktop computers in a single email
account on my main server.

Since this is auto-generated system mail, there is absolutely no chance that I
would want to reply to such email, now or in the future.

I do not necessarily need the From or To parts of the email to reflect the
hostname where the mail was generated. But it is a nice feature and helps to
sort and filter the mail.

With the suggestions on this list I now got all of this working! But I would
happily learn about better ways to achieve this?

All the best,

     Mario