[exim] Re: Is sender verification possible on a server that …

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-users
To: exim-users
題目: [exim] Re: Is sender verification possible on a server that is used as a smarthost?
On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 12:49:29PM -0400, Chris Siebenmann via Exim-users wrote:

> > But does that mean that in turn, each of these subdomains would need
> > to be added as a local domain in exim on mydomain.org? Are there any
> > downsides with that? It seems a bit wrong that mydomain.org has local
> > domains <hostname>.mydomain.org, but that is just my gut feeling, and
> > I may be wrong here?
>
> It's a common configuration for there to be (email) subdomains within a
> domain, and also for those subdomains to be handled by the same mail
> server (or at least the same MX entry, which is all that the outside
> world can tell about the situation).

Sure, one can expose every internal host as a reachable email subdomain,
optionally equivalent to the main domain, but this is not a good idea.

Email addresses persist in mailboxes for years or even decades, and
sometimes even very dated messages elicit legitimate responses.
Exposing internal namespace structure rather gets in the way of keeping
email addresses valid for the long-term.

Rather than leak user@<somehost>.domain forms out to the public
Internet, explain and solve the real problem that not masquerading
all users behind the primary domain is supposed to solve???

--
    Viktor.