[exim] Re: No immediate delivery for emails locally submitte…

Góra strony
Autor: Slavko
Dla: exim-users
Temat: [exim] Re: No immediate delivery for emails locally submitted in systemd unit
Ahoj,

Dňa Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:46:50 +0200 Charles Leclerc via Exim-users
<exim-users@???> napísal:

> I've tried looking in the configuration but didn't find anything. Why
> would delivering of identical, locally submitted emails, differ ?

I will guess only, but exim is forking transport process for delivery,
but that is not liked by systemd (in really i read from its author,
that he consider forking as bad). By that, systemd kill all remaining
processes after/when unit stops (and do not wait for forked processes)
by default.

You have several options:

+ use forking type unit (not appropriate in all cases)
+ disable kill in unit (not very good idea)
+ setup sendwait in mailx (not with bsd-mailx)
+ use exim directly with -odf
+ use cron for repeated tasks

For timers (repeated tasks) requiring mails i usually use cron (as i
use bsd-mailx, without sendwait suport). While systemd has a lot of
useful features (as init system), the lack of simple notification in it
is its big minus.

regards

--
Slavko