[exim] Re: Pipe transport and script (shebang)

Góra strony
Autor: Andrew C Aitchison
Dla: Slavko
CC: exim ML
Temat: [exim] Re: Pipe transport and script (shebang)
On Mon, 28 Aug 2023, Slavko via Exim-users wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> recently i decide to improve my pipe transport for reports processing
> to allow relative commands and i go into problems. It was worked
> without problems with absolute script path for long time. I solved it,
> but i want to know why that happens...
>
> The only changes which i did, are -- i add path option to transport:
>
>    path = /my/scripts/path

> I changed command name to relative (without path) in redirect router:
>
>    data = |script_name.py one_arg

> After message arrived, it fail to run that script, with output:
>
>    reports_pipe transport output: /usr/bin/env: 'python3': No such
>    file or directory

> I had that in shebang, after i changed shebang to point directly to
> /usr/bin/python3, it starts to work again.
>
> I tried to emulate that from shell by setting PATH variable to the same
> value as in transport, then i tried to clear it at all, but scripts runs
> without problem, i tried to find something in env's man page, but i
> fail...
>
> Thus i am curios why that was not problem with full script path but it
> is problem with relative script path. Can please someone explain me
> that?

I guess that and your first change meant that /usr/bin/env could no longer
find pthyon3.

Some say that using /usr/bin/env in shebang helps, but others say it makes
things worse. With distributions changing from the default python
from python2 to python3 the mess got more tangled. Find something that
works on your systems and stick with it.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew@???