[exim] Re: fakereject and DSN

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: fakereject and DSN
Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote on 19.08.2023 18:37:
> On 19/08/2023 16:29, Victor Ustugov via Exim-users wrote:
>> But
>> this won't work if there is no Message-ID header in the original email.
>
> You can safely block any external-source messages lacking a
> Message-ID header (local ones, where you're being an MSA,
> not so; some MUAs are dumb and the MSA has to fix then up.
> Exim does that).
>
> RFC 5322 only lists this as a SHOULD (section 3.8.4) -
> but I see it as spamsign.

I can't block emails that don't contain Message-Id headers. You can't
even imagine how many emails that do not meet the requirements of the
RFC come from official organizations, suppliers, buyers.

For example, emails from noreply@??? with a DMARC Aggregate Report
have a Message-ID header. But it doesn't contain angle brackets.

Thus, the absence of the Message-ID header or the incorrect format of
the Message-ID header are not reliable criteria for refusing to deliver
a message.

Therefore, I hesitate to refuse normal delivery of emails on the basis
of such unreliable criteria. And even if I refuse to deliver the email
to the Inbox, I deliver it to the Junk.

And we ended up where we started. In order to deliver email to Junk and
return a 5xx error to the sender, I need to use fakereject and solve the
problem with DSN.

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua