[exim] Re: exim systemd service: Type=exec or Type=simple

Author: Ian Z via Exim-users
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: exim systemd service: Type=exec or Type=simple
On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:50:53PM +0200, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:

> > Offlist and maybe very slightly off-topic. Please also support
> > sysvinit or whatever non-systemd options as well...

> Support for all the "init systems" is quite impossible, I believe,
> with all the flavours of (mostly shell) snippets to include. IMHO
> providing distro specific init scripts is a task for the individual
> distros.

> But, feel free to provide init scripts matching your distro's
> environment. I can imagine that we distribute them along with the
> sources.

I used to have my own sysvinit bit for exim (on Linux), and I'll
immodestly say that it was a wonder of clarity compared to most of the
other sysvinit scripts out there, even those in distros.

But, no more. Now I run exim from supervisor:

http://supervisord.org/

Here's the config bit:

[program:exim]
directory = /var/spool/exim
user = root
command = /usr/local/bin/exim -bdf -q20m
environment = PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"
stdout_logfile = /var/log/supervisor/exim-stdout.log
stderr_logfile = /var/log/supervisor/exim-stderr.log

--
Ian