[exim-dev] Re: Variable names

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Re: Variable names

Now that I have figured out that I was wrong to follow the advice of
Randall Munroe and Mrs. Roberts https://xkcd.com/327/
     "I hope you've learned to sanitize your database inputs."
Instead we should *let the database routines* sanitise our data.

I agree with Jeremy's ponts below have removed the detainting.

> Sounds like stashing (tainted) values in a DB, and comparing against a DB
> suffices?

I think so.

Though the impression I get is that many people get caught with tainted
data when they use database lookups or run external commands.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2023, Jeremy Harris via Exim-dev wrote:

> On 06/07/2023 22:30, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

>>> That second one should also be tainted, in that case,
>>
>> Why should the hex-encoded version be tainted ?
>
> Because it derives from attacker-source data, not verified
> against local data.
>
>> As an implementation detail it is currently untainted.
>
> Effectively, you've introduced an untainting backdoor.
>
>> If someone decoded the hex it would pose a risk,
>> but I am prepared to assume that they will understand that they
>> do that at their own risk.
>>
>> Exim is able to guarantee to the exim config that the hex-token is a
>> string of (not more than 256) hex digits, so I don't see a need for it
>> ti be tainted. Am I missing some other risk ?
>
> It's more a matter of principle, allowing simple reasoning about
> the provenance of the data.
>
>> There is actually another variable which is "between 1 and 16
>> characters comprised of only alphanumeric and dash characters" (ASCII
>> by RFC5324, I think). I *was* assuming that this would also be an
>> untainted variable.
>
> Again, if this comes off the wire (or is derived from something that
> does, don't do it.
>
>>> so I don't see it buys you anything.  But - why does it matter if
>>> the value is tainted?  How is it expected to be used?
>>
>> This token is somewhere between a username and a password.
>> It is shared with the associated imap service.
>> It is likely to appear in logfiles and be used as a rate-limit
>> key and in block lists.
>>
>> I don't have much or recent experience with user databases, and they
>> vary a lot, so I expect at least initially, that people will have to
>> write their own configurations to integrate it with their user database
>> and to communicate with the imap service (so that blocking or
>> unblocking in one does the same in the other).
>
> So long as you're only going to feed the datum to a DB, or external program
> as an argument, there's no problem with it being tainted.
> (Mostly because we can't control what these non-exim components do,
> so have to give up on protection at that boundary).
>
>> My observation from the exim lists is that people struggle to write
>> configs that work with tainted variables, so it seems important to
>> make safe variables available to the exim config.
>
> "safe" by just abandoning the taint-tracking isn't something I really
> want to end up with. The whole effort was put in place to keep exim
> away from a log4j-style debacle (yes, we got burned by something similar).
>>
>> The overall point of the exercise is to be able to, say, disable a
>> user's laptop but still allow them to read and send mail from their
>> phone or web-mail, should exim or the imap service believe that the
>> laptop is misusing the mail service.
>
> Sounds like stashing (tainted) values in a DB, and comparing against a DB
> suffices?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Jeremy
>

> --

Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew@???