Re: [exim] From header with encoding not parsed?

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: Jasen Betts via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] From header with encoding not parsed?
Jasen Betts via Exim-users wrote on 13.04.2023 10:07:
> On 2023-04-12, Victor Ustugov via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
>> Slavko via Exim-users wrote on 12.04.2023 20:42:
>>> Dňa 12. apríla 2023 16:50:29 UTC používateľ MRob via Exim-users <exim-users@???> napísal:

>>> Header is valid, but after decoding it contains comma without
>>> qoutes, the comma is address separator and thus results in
>>> list of two "addresses", first without valid address, thus empty...
>>>
>>> Use raw header for address extracting -- $rh_From: that works
>>> for both, quoted and encoded content...
>>

>> What about the colon without encoding?
>>
>> From: =?utf-8?Q?My=20Bizness:=20Inc.?= <charles@???>
>
> yes, the colon breaks it. it's not a valid from header.

I know. But email clients correctly display the From header shown above.
And it is quite possible to get such a header in an incoming email.

> RFC5322 is a bit of a rabbit hole to dive into.
>
> but the short story is none of these should be used in "bare" names
>
>   specials        =   "(" / ")" /        ; Special characters that do
>                       "<" / ">" /        ;  not appear in atext
>                       "[" / "]" /
>               ":" / ";" /
>                       "@" / "\" /
>               "," / "." /
>               DQUOTE

> except where there is specific permission given
>

> Easiest fix for the sender is to use quotes.
>
> From: "=?utf-8?Q?My=20Bizness:=20Inc.?=" <charles@???>

in order to insert double quotes, I need to separate the From header
into the address and the part of the header that comes before it. Why do
I need to add quotes if I have already determined which part of the
header is the address?

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua