Re: [exim] Re (n): Configuring for non-encrypted MUA to loca…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re (n): Configuring for non-encrypted MUA to localhost. TLS-on-connect, exim to smarthost.
On 06/04/2023 18:30, Peter via Exim-users wrote:
> I should refrain from attempting to send messages as root. Should
> submit as ordinary user.  Correct?

Nope.

The "don't run as root" thing doesn't affect deliveries done
via smtp, only deliveries to file. Deliveries to file have
to be done as the owner of the recipient account, so as to
have permission to modify their files. But we want to avoid
running as root (and sometimes some other privileged users too,
which is why it's configurable) because doing so is an attack
surface just begging to be scratched.

Your deliver-to-smartmost is not that.
--
Cheers,