Re: [exim-dev] Help debugging a tls smtp session

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Help debugging a tls smtp session
On 28/03/2023 13:48, Andrew C Aitchison via Exim-dev wrote:

> I'm attempting to write CLIENTID support for Exim.
>
> My current attempt is available at
>   https://www.aitchison.me.uk/exim/clientid.20230325.patch
>
> I am using the exim test suite. Below is the significant part of
>    runtest --keep 3752
>
> When I do STARTTLS -> CLIENTID -> NOOP
> the CLIENTID gives the correct response code but the next command
> fails (it doesn't have to be a NOOP) in a way suggesting that I have
> lost synchronization. Sometimes the TLS connection reports unexpected
> commands in the input buffer (which I confirm to match what I expect
> the script to send next).
>
> I do have PIPECONNECT enabled, so I may well be tangled up in that somehow.

That's not getting involved, here (your exim is not advertising it for the
connection).

> Any suggestions on how to proceed ?
>
> Connecting to 127.0.0.1 port 1225 ... connected

So this is the testsuite "client" output.

> ??? 250-CLIENTID
> <<< 250-CLIENTID
> ??? 250 HELP
> <<< 250 HELP
> ??? 250 OK
> <<< 250 OK
> ??? 250 OK
> Error in the pull function.
> Unexpected EOF read

The client was expecting some more TLS input, but (probably; it's the most likely
cause for that) the server closed the TCP connection.

Next step: add "-d+all" to the exim daemon line in the test script, and inspect the
resulting "test-sterr-server" file.

--
Cheers,
Jeremy