Re: [exim] Exim, OAUTH2 and gnutls problem

Author: ael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim, OAUTH2 and gnutls problem
On Sun, Mar 05, 2023 at 06:52:04PM +0000, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
> On 05/03/2023 15:59, ael via Exim-users wrote:
> > While testing, I have encountered two apparently benign error messages:
> >
> > 1) H=outlook.xx.office365.com [xx.xx.xxx.xxx] TLS error on connection (recv):
> > Error in the pull function.
>
> Yes, the GnuTLS library produces this somewhat obscure message when
> a read it's trying to do on the underlying TCP socket returns an
> error to it. The error can be, and most often is "the far end
> closed the TCP connection" when GnuTLS is expecting a proper, graceful
> notification that the TLS layer is being closed.
>
> So long as the mail message was apparently transferred properly you
> can ignore this one.
>
> Your debug shows SMTP-leve success responses for both the data
> phase for the message and the SMTP QUIT after it.

Yes. All the messages are successfully delivered. Thank you for
confirming what I had suspected: the messages are essentially spurious,
although perhaps revealing that some SMTP servers don't close properly:
the usual suspects.. :-)

Very useful reply. Thank you so much. Now I can get back to worrying
about what licence to select and adding a bit more documentation before
uploading to Gitlab.

I will try to remember to post the link to the repository here if anyone
would like it.

Thanks again,

ael