Re: [exim] Recipient verification

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recipient verification
On 20/01/2023 19:50, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:
> Calling the ACL on all mail prevents bounces, correct?

An R-verify checks routability, and (with callout) acceptability
by the destination. If your intent is to discover nonexistent
recipients *during SMTP reception* of a message, so that
you can reject at SMTP time and thereby not have to generate
a bounce - then yes, it'll do that. But you should be
doing this check in your rcpt ACL, and it'll only cover
messages *you* receive using SMTP (as opposed to cmdline/stdin).

Also, if done for message-submission receptions by you
it will upset many MUAs (which have little notion that
a message being rejected is a thing, it seems).
So if that was your hope, you're onto a loser.

> As to when this is called, I would put it on our egress node, which only
> has acl_check_rcpt. I planned to put it after that. So more like this?
>
> acl_check_vrfy:

I'm still trying to work out your intent. Is that word "acl_check_vrfy"
never mentioned elsewhere (in your proposed config)? If so, it will
have no effect. ACL names are not magic.

When do you want it run?

--
Cheers,
Jeremy