Re: [exim] Move message to another server for spooling

Autor: Andrew C Aitchison
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Move message to another server for spooling
On Mon, 2 Jan 2023, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

> On 02/01/2023 09:39, Laura Williamson via Exim-users wrote:
>> got a few of these the last couple of days, only to outlook365 servers.
>> Looked on google and it seems to be a random thing that happens with MS.
>> I tried to look in the docs how to move a message to another server for
>> spooling but I cannot find an option for that, is there a command line
>> option for this? I have a couple of smarthost servers, would like to
>> move these to that system.
>
> For manual moves across Exim installations:
>
> 1) freeze the messages (exim -Mf <message id> <message id> ...)
> (just to ensure a queue-run doesn't jump in while you're half-way)
> Check (exim -bp <message id> <message id> ...) they did get frozen.
>
> 2) Move spool files having the message-id(s). There should be a D- and an
> H-
> pair of files. You'll need to know where your spool is, for both Exim
> installations.
>
> 3) Unfreeze with "exim -Mt ..."

There is also exim_lock, which puts an exim-compatible lock on a file
while you do something with it, either a command or a whole shell.
... Though I don't know what happens if you try to move or remove
a locked file ... and there are at least three sorts of lock
and exim may use more than one of them IIRC.

> NOTE: this won't help you if your "smarthost" is not running Exim.
>
>> Another thing, is there an option to move a queue to another (smarthost)
>> server when a message is XX days old?
>
> Actually, you want to *route* depending on message age.
>
> Place a manualroute router in the chain before your usual "send to
> internet" (which is probably a dnslookup router) picking off old
> messages using a condition on $message_age and directing to your
> "smarthost".

If you are counting the age of a message,
that will reset when exim passes it to the next machine.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew@???