Re: [exim] Exim 4.96 compile fails on Devuan 4

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: Mike Tubby via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.96 compile fails on Devuan 4
Mike Tubby via Exim-users wrote on 12.09.2022 00:27:

>>> Compiling Exim 4.96 fails on Devuan 4.0 Chimaera (basically Debian
>>> but without systemd).

>> # apt show libpcre2-8-0
>>         ...        ...
>>  This package contains the 8 bit runtime library, which operates on
>>  ASCII and UTF-8 input.
>>
>> so I guess libpcre2-8-0 wasn't already installed.
>>
>> It wouldn't hurt to "make clean" first either.
>>

> root@relay1:/home/mike/exim-4.96# apt show libpcre2-8-0
> Package: libpcre2-8-0
> Version: 10.36-2
> Section: libs
> Source: pcre2
> Maintainer: Matthew Vernon <matthew@???>
> Installed-Size: 680 kB
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14)
> Homepage: https://pcre.org/
> Tag: role::shared-lib
> Download-Size: 247 kB
> APT-Manual-Installed: yes
> APT-Sources: http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera/main amd64 Packages
> runtime files
>  This is PCRE2, the new implementation of PCRE, a library of functions
>  to support regular expressions whose syntax and semantics are as
>  close as possible to those of the Perl 5 language. New projects
>  should use this library in preference to the older library,
>  confusingly called pcre3 in Debian.
>  .
>  This package contains the 8 bit runtime library.
>
> root@relay1:/home/mike/exim-4.96#
>

> doing a "make clean" and a "make" results in:

> so is still broken ...

Try to install libpcre2-dev

Or you may use source package from Debian repo:

wget http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.96-3.dsc
wget http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.96.orig.tar.xz
wget
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.96.orig.tar.xz.asc
wget
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.96-3.debian.tar.xz

dpkg-source -x exim4_4.96-3.dsc
cd exim4-4.96
dpkg-buildpackage -b -us -uc
cd ..

There are some additional patches in exim4-4.96/debian/patches.

But you will have to install many more packages.

These packages are for building packages:

apt-get install -y dpkg-dev devscripts build-essential pbuilder quilt m4
make

These packages are for dependency resolving:

apt-get install default-libmysqlclient-dev docbook-xml docbook-xsl
libdb5.3-dev libgnutls28-dev libident-dev libidn11-dev libidn2-dev
libldap2-dev libpam0g-dev libpcre2-dev libperl-dev libpq-dev
libsasl2-dev libspf2-dev libsqlite3-dev libx11-dev libxaw7-dev
libxext-dev libxmu-dev libxt-dev lynx xsltproc

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua