Re: [exim] tip: use -odf when calling exim from a systemd on…

Author: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] tip: use -odf when calling exim from a systemd oneshot service
On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 04:14:06PM -0400, Ian Kelling via Exim-users wrote:
> If calling exim is the last thing the service does, systemd will kill
> off exim's background delivery process and the message will be in the
> queue waiting until the next queue run. This has bit me when migrating a
> script from a cronjob to a systemd timer.

Probably your service process spawns Exim and do exit without waiting for
child to complete. If so, child has almost all chances to be killed, yes.

> If you run in exim debug mode, the last lines you see might be something like:
>
> finding IP address for example.com
> calling host_find_byname

Because name resolving typically involves exchange with DNS servers,
it implies relatively long wait, that's why this place is the most
probable point of interruption.
--
Eugene Berdnikov