Re: [exim] Routing instead of smarthost

Author: R-VISOR-TOVIS
To: Gedalya
CC: exim-users, exim-users, Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Routing instead of smarthost
> On 5/20/22 22:10, exim-users--- via Exim-users wrote:
>> I would check if it is possible to get rid of the smarthost style
>> config completely and configure as "internet site; mail is sent and
>> received directly
>> using SMTP". Exim will lookup MX for outgoing mail in DNS and take
>> care of delivery without any manual configuration. You should
>> implement the usual stuff
>> to get your mail properly accepted and not marked as SPAM (you should
>> do that anyways).
>
> These days, the network you're coming from is a very important factor.
> A subscriber network (business / residential) or so-called "cloud"
> networks are considered bad reputation, this often applies to the
> entire network and not to a specific IP address. It can be very
> difficult to get your mail through, even if you follow the
> recommendations wrt DKIM, DMARC etc.
>
> The motivation to use a smarthost is clear.
>
>> If you need only some manual routes, Debian has a (imho) nice default
>> configuration prepared for that, which is called hubbed hosts
>> (relevant part of
>> exim4.conf.template):
>>

>>      transport = remote_smtp

>> You only need to create /etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts and put a pair of
>> destiantion domain and mailserver(s) per line, (quoting
>> exim4-config_files(5)):
>
>> If necessary, you can put credentials for authorization into
>> /etc/exim4/password.client (one per line).
>
> The remote_smtp transport does not use password.client.
> remote_smtp_smarthost does.
>
> You can indeed use the hubbed hosts setup, it makes sense to edit
> /etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts rather than the main config file, but you'd
> just have to change the transport to remote_smtp_smarthost and then
> authentication would work.

Hi!
About a year ago (after trying to setup my own smart host) I was found a
service provider for reasonable price. At first time it was work well I
was happy with all of my accounts. But now, I have more and more
partners, who haven't got my emails, even as a spam.
But, if I use my account providers web mail system my emails are
accepted.

Most important, that I need more complicated setup and I need to do more
preparation for change.

Thank you, I would back if I have results.
Regards
tovis