Re: [exim] The No Certificate Warning and the Right Way to S…

Author: Martin McCormick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] The No Certificate Warning and the Right Way to Stop it
Andreas Metzler via Exim-users <exim-users@???> writes:
> Please take a look at
> file:///usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.html#TLS

    Thank you.  After figuring out that the smarthost
requires connect on port 25, never uses 465 anymore but can use
587, I had to be careful what gets set here or I kill outbound
mail again.
  Here's what I have ended up doing so far.  I read
the article and realized that I probably need split configuration
instead of one monolithic file because that is the only way that
/etc/exim4/localmacros is picked up so I set localmacros as
follows:

MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = 1
TLS_ON_CONNECT_PORTS = 587
then dhcp-reconfigure.

Cert warning still lives.

Set a new localmacros as follows and reconfigure.

MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = 1
REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_REQUIRE_TLS = *
TLS_ON_CONNECT_PORTS = 587

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config and cert warning is still kicking.
Set all possible options on in localmacros and reconfigure.
Localmacros now reads:

MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = 1
REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_REQUIRE_TLS = *
TLS_ON_CONNECT_PORTS = 587
REQUIRE_PROTOCOL = smtps

    Cert message never fails to appear.  I even took away the
localmacros file and did a dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config without
and Wait for it.  Cert message was the first indication that exim
was starting.

    All delivery attempts including the one without
localmacros were successful so for now, I have switched back to a
non-split configuration and cert message just keeps filling up
the log.

    Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.  After all this
pummeling, exim4 is now delivering successfully every time to the
smarthost so that's good that it still works after the ISP's "no
changes"  changes.

    I was telling my wife yesterday that all that time I
spent talking to call centers in Heaven knows where on and off
for the last 2 months was totally wasted in that I never learned
one true factor from them that made any difference at all.
Welcome to service in the 21ST century from big corporations.

Martin