Re: [exim] test Thu, 05 May 2022 14:51:32 -0500

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] test Thu, 05 May 2022 14:51:32 -0500
On 2022-05-05, Martin McCormick via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> --===============0238493248==
>
> Subject: smarthost Outsmarting me so Far

> $ telnet smtp.suddenlink.net 25

you probably need encryption to use authentication.

openssl s_client -connect smtp.suddenlink.net:25 -starttls=smtp

> helo martim.n

Use ESMTP "ehlo" instead of "helo":

EHLO martim.n

> 250 omta03.suddenlink.net
> help login

The help banner doesn't cover auth, the command you want is

AUTH LOGIN

Auth is all in base-64 so you'll need to encode your responses (and
decode the challenges if you can't guess what they are).

>     A good perl or python script should plug in to exim's
> logic to make it possible to script and monitor authentication
> and take care of that while exim can do the smtp activities as it
> always has.

>     Any and all constructive ideas are much appreciated.

>     A modular authentication helper would be a tremendous
> force multiplier since security issues have made things much more
> complex then they were and a form of scripting similar to expect
> should reduce the amount of head-banging necessary to solve minor
> changes in authentication that totally stop the show right now.

perl and python already have SMTP libraries just use them, or use
swaks if you're programming in shell.

--
Jasen.