Re: [exim] Callout defer (was: Taint checking and exim 4.96r…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Callout defer (was: Taint checking and exim 4.96rc0)
On 01/05/2022 15:16, Slavko via Exim-users wrote:
> will be appropriate $*_data
> variables filled on defer result with defer_ok option? I mean in case,
> when callout do not fail due network errors.

No.

> + without defer_ok, on any defer reason the ACL immediately returns
> defer result and one cannot act on it (except warn)

You can, but it takes a little coding complexity:
do the verify in a sub-acl, setting up a variable first.

For instance, I have:

# Technique for explicitly seeing defers; credit andrew@???
# Call this from a "warn" verb.
sverify_callout:
   require       set acl_c8 =    defer
                 # Easynet puts a 30s delay on bounce inputs :-(
   accept        verify =        sender/callout=60s,random
                 set acl_c8 =    accept
   deny          set acl_c8 =    deny
                 acl =           acl_delay_escalator "sender verify fail"

> cannot distinguish network vs. real temporary errors

That's true. You might be able to do something using events.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy