Re: [exim] stuck exim processes

Author: Patrik Peng
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] stuck exim processes
On 17.03.22 12:17, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

> Do you have the other patches mentioned in this thread?  Because that is
> a different symptom to the one being addressed by that specific patch
> (and addressed in the code base by the recently committed 2ead369f84).

Afaik yes.

But further investigation revealed that only the same ~7 messages stuck
in queue caused these errors.
All affected messages contain some UTF8 chars like (ß, ü, ö) and were
stuck in queue even before the upgrade to 4.95 due to a misconfiguration.
Before the upgrade the segfaults were logged differently and thus I
incorrectly assumed, these were some new errors.

Here's a small output when trying to deliver such a message (recipient:
papiererstraße@???, doesn't matter that it's undeliverable):

---8<---
LOG: MAIN
  [333.333.333.333] SSL verify error: depth=0 error=self signed certificate cert=/CN=somehost.com
  SMTP>> EHLO mxout012.mail.someotherhost.com
  SMTP<< 250-OK
         250 SIZE 104857600
  SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=4401
  SMTP<< 250 OK smtp ready for
  SMTP>> RCPT TO:<xn--@???>
  SMTP<< 554 Recipient unknown
  SMTP+> QUIT
  SMTP(TLS shutdown)>>
  SMTP(shutdown)>>
  SMTP<< 221 closing connection
  SMTP(close)>>
LOG: MAIN PANIC
  SIGSEGV (maybe attempt to write to immutable memory)
Segmentation fault
---8<---

But I guess that's some unrelated issue.