Re: [exim] Google/gmail timeouts, IPv6 conntrack issue?

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Google/gmail timeouts, IPv6 conntrack issue?
On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:25:15 +0300 Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 02:01:49PM +0900, Christian Balzer via Exim-users wrote
> > If found it excruciatingly hard to correlate tcpdump and nf_conntrack
> > flows,
>
> These data can be related via timestamps, they may be enabled for
> conntrack output:
>
>    conntrack -o timestamp,ktimestamp -E ...

> Note that timestamping for kernel module should be enabled via option
> net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_timestamp (read man conntrack for details).

Thanks for that info!

> > but those ICMP6 destination unreachable packets are the result of
> > the local iptables rejecting a connection to port 43922 (the originating
> > outbound SMTP session from here), something it allowed for the first 2
> > seconds just fine.
> >
> > The:
> > ---
> > -A INPUT -p icmpv6 -j ACCEPT
> > -A INPUT -i bond+ -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> > ---
>
> No rejection rules here. Look for your iptables rules to find sources
> of rejection, then insert logging rules to debug.

I was only quoting the relevant rules, as in "with that it should
work" (and it does for everybody else).

Of course there was/is reject at the end:
---
-A INPUT -i bond+ -p tcp -m tcp --dport 465 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i bond+ -p tcp -m tcp --dport 587 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i bond+ -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i bond+ -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmpv6 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i bond+ -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i bond+ -j LOG
-A INPUT -i bond+ -j REJECT
---

And plenty of rejects in the kernel log, which is how I how found out
about this in the first place.

Regards,

Christian
chibi@???       Rakuten Communications