Re: [exim] exim maildirsize quota calculation in the face of…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Andrew C Aitchison
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] exim maildirsize quota calculation in the face of symlinks
On Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Jasen Betts via Exim-users wrote:

> On 2022-02-10, Maarten van Baarsel via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
>> Currently, I'm also using a plugin in dovecot:
>>
>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailboxAlias
>>
>> However, this plugin solves the alias problem with a symlink in the
>> Maildir directory, which makes Exim count the mails twice when the
>> appendfile transport is calculating quota sizes.
>
> Have you considered using OS-provided per-user disk quotas instead?
>
> https://www.linux.com/training-tutorials/step-step-using-user-quotas-linux/
>
> this is just an idea, I don't know how well dovecot and exim interact with
> quota.

I have used exim (maybe dovecot too, my memory is not clear)
with filesystem quotas and would consider doing it again.

Quotas are a file-system/partition feature and the details vary with the
filesystem type: ext[234], XFS, NFS etc. Not all filesystems support
quotas.

We used soft quotas (and had much higher hard quotas); this
complains but does not stop usage when the soft limit is exceeded.
You can lose mail if the hard quota is exceeded and the MTA and
an MUA like alpine both try to access the mailbox over NFS.

If I were doing this again, I probably wouldn't network the mail-spool
partition and would insist that all MUAs used IMAP (or POP).
I might share it *readonly*, so that users could "grep" their mailboxes.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                    Kendal, UK
             andrew@???