Re: [exim] Inap?p?ropriate File Type or Format

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: List: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Inap?p?ropriate File Type or Format
On 20 Jan 2022, at 18:45, Pete Long via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me with this error I'm seeing in my Exim log files:
>
> 2022-01-20 14:55:58 1nAYqz-0002ae-M1 failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/wait-remote_smtp: Inappropriate file type or format
>
> I think the error has been present now for about a fortnight but otherwise mail transmission and reception appear to be fine.

Looks like the DB file for retries has become corrupt - possibly as a result of an unexpected power failure, reboot, restart or something similar. Couls also indicate underlying filesystem problems.

You can safely delete the file(s) with that name and any extensions without restarting Exim, it’ll simply recreate them and get on with things. If you have messages that have been queued for a while, they may stay queued for longer than they would normally as their retry timer will have been reset.

Graeme