Re: [exim] converting from debian package to source

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Evgeniy Berdnikov
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] converting from debian package to source
Hello.

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 03:27:45PM +0000, Julian Bradfield via Exim-users wrote:
> Specifically, I don't like the idea of installing an external tool
> spfquery and using the slightly clunky config snippet to use it,
> rather than using the built-in spf - I like things in the exim4 manual
> to work in my installation!
>
> However, I also don't like fiddling with systems more than necessary -
> sysadmin is not my job, it's just what I have to do to make things
> work. If I have to go the trouble of building my own Debian package, I
> might as well lose all the debian changes and just install exim from
> source, which is easy to repeat on all systems I might use.

If you are not sysadmin and not programmer then idea to build and install
Exim from sources looks as understimation of time required for this task.
And if you are not sysadmin then you shouldn't bother about SPF,
users generally don't know what is it.

Package mainteiners do lot of hard work, Exim is not an exception.

Debian package comes with user-friendly configuration system, which is
designed with aim to provide easy customization. With "split config"
you can live for years with running updates (both binaries and configs)
while your own configuration items continue to work.

> I guess I could just try it and see on a quiet day :)

Really. It's useful to make notes how much time you spent on the
compilation, tuning and resolution of problems, then compare with
use of Debian package and/or price list of nearest mail hoster.
--
Eugene Berdnikov