Re: [exim] converting from debian package to source

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Odhiambo Washington
A: exim users
Cc: Julian Bradfield
Asunto: Re: [exim] converting from debian package to source
On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 5:26 PM Julian Bradfield via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> My mail servers run, and have run for decades, on Debian, and I've
> always used the Debian package for exim4, though I don't use debconf
> for my own additions, but just edit the conf.template file as if it
> were a .conf file.
>
> The pain of dealing with Debian's antiquated versions (4.92) and
> gratuitous messing around with upstream's configuration (most recent
> annoyance, not supporting built-in SPF) is prompting me to think about
> switching to using the primary source.
>
> I wonder if anybody on this list has done such a conversion recently,
> and would have time to share the chief gotchas they encountered.
>
> If you reply to me, I will summarize to the list.

There are times I have simply grabbed the source tarball and compiled it
manually.
As long as you make the right edits to the Local/Makefile. You can always
toss away the default /etc/exim4 and replace the contents
with your own version of configs, while still being able to use the system
control scripts to start/stop exim.
I have never liked the split configurations I see on Debian and its
derivates. I use the monolithic config everywhere.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,