[exim] How to set LMTP over TLS for incoming emails in exim …

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Zakaria
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users, dovecot
Αντικείμενο: [exim] How to set LMTP over TLS for incoming emails in exim and dovecot
Hi there,
I have Dovecot running with Exim as MTA and LMTP router and transport
in Exim configuration which handles saving and sending emails from and
to dovecot.
I attach the screenshots below so it perhaps can clarify my question
further, I managed to send over TLS from my mail server to external
emails i.e. with the outgoing emails using exim hosts_require_tls
option yet I couldn't figure out how to achieve this with incoming
emails(refer to received email to hi@??? screen shot in
comparison to external email.)
Do you think its something to do with adding and removing headers? In
which way then? Given I tried to remove and add headers of " received
by " using add_header and remove_header option in exim transport, to
include tls information despite when I check email headers I find them
already containing mailed by over tls and LMTPS, whilst the only thing
I have not tested its using :at_start: so headers to be appended at top
of email file, and not sure if it would work and does LMTP at dovecot
end append Received by which then overrides previous ones? and how to
prevent it from doing this? as I read somewhere headers are read from
bottom to top or something of such sort and last header at bottom in
all incoming emails shows as was mailed by with non-tls and I cant
remove it at exim point if its added by dovecot was true. Please let me
know if anyone think it has something to do with Received By headers
order and how to prevent dovecot from adding LMTP received by header if
it does.
Note, in postfix it seems to be that there is an option setting LMTP to
route and transport emails to dovecot over TLS yet I use exim and I
wonder if anyone knows its equivalent?
It seems to be the issue its with the way IMAP sync emails as when
checked exim log it shows email received via TLS with CV=yes, and in
dovecot shows LMTP connection was made and IMAP syncing takes place
normally over 993 and I use tls port 993 only given I disabled 143 yet
still incoming emails shows received over unencrypted port.
I set in dovecot 10-master, the LMTP service to use TCP and disabled
unix socket and still same. I read the email its treated as local
apparently at transport point from router and therefore either exim or
dovecot ignores TLS and in lmtp service I fiddled with never I found
anywhere suggested that is to set ssl = yes, but the LMTP connection
hangs and closes and never delivers email?
In other word, how to set exim to treat all emails sent locally to
accounts at my mail server and externally and received either way and,
to use TLS and append needed or Received By headers accordingly?
Btw, all received emails shows the outcome of screenshot to
hi@???.
Rewarding note, for those who read my lengthy question to last
paragraph, If anyone has wondered on how to customise mailed by and
signed by, I didnt find it documented anywhere therefore here its:- use
Fs flag in exim begin rewrite to be set to sender@???
and set customise.domain.uk in DKIM sender domain as well as tls_sni
option in transports. I personally advise to make sure to create sender
email account and forward its emails to email which you read
frequently. There might be some MUAs who would use the Fs headers
address in response to sent and received emails in different
circumstances and one should want to leave no email except handled.
With thanks
Zakaria.