Re: [exim] problem with mails in queue while config changes …

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] problem with mails in queue while config changes routers
On 29/12/2021 11:42, Cyborg via Exim-users wrote:
> Am 29.12.21 um 12:10 schrieb Jeremy Harris via Exim-users:
>> Each delivery attempt (re)runs the routing (hence, changes
>> in things like DNS will get picked up) and starts with a
>> clean slate as far as cached lookup results goes.
>
> the "routing process" is not equal to "the process to decide which router is used". Correct?

By "run the routing" I mean "evaluate the configuration router chain, in the context
of the given message". The preconditions on a particular router may result
in that router being skipped, but obviously those condition have to be evaluated
to decide that.

The message could have had multiple recipients to start with.
Also, a redirect router could result in the message gaining additional recipients.
But, only one router per (eventual) recipient will be "run" if you're
excluding the evaluation of conditions.

You used the word "process" - and I initially assumed you meant that in the
sense of a Unix process - but I'm now thinking you may mean "operation".
It does happen that all the above is done by a single Unix process, but if
delivery fails and the message remains on the queue, a later delivery
attempt will be done in a different Unix process (and as a first step will
re-run routing for the undelivered (original) recipients of the message).

--
Cheers,
Jeremy