[exim] Gradually phasing in a new Exim server for outgoing d…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Vegar Nilsen
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [exim] Gradually phasing in a new Exim server for outgoing delivery
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on ways to gradually phase in a new Exim server so that providers that throttle incoming emails from unseen IPs don't completely block all emails from our servers.

The context here is like this, we're operating the servers for our customer, who is an email provider. (Not marketing or mass email, just regular email users.) We are sending emails out from one IP, e.g. 10.10.10.1, and then we want to expand their setup with a second outgoing server, on a different IP range, e.g. 10.20.20.1. Both of these servers can be thought of as relays for other internal servers, and both will be online and working at the same time. The original server can also serve as a relay for the new server if necessary.

Ideally I would like something like this:

* The internal servers are reconfigured to forward all outgoing emails through the new server on 10.20.20.1
* 10.20.20.1 tries to deliver emails out to the world
* If the recipient server gives back a temporary error, e.g. due to throttling, forward the email to 10.10.10.1 and remove it from the queue
* Forward all emails to the MX server that throttled us to 10.10.10.1 for an hour or two, before trying another delivery attempt
* Deliver as normal if the receiving MX server doesn't throttle
* Once 10.20.20.1 has built up a good reputation with these external recipients, reconfigure internal servers to use both servers for outgoing emails

Since all emails here are generated by our customer's customers, I want to keep deliveries going at close to regular pace, so it's important that the new server isn't building up a massive queue to these recipients while the old server could have delivered without problems.

Thanks in advance
--
Vegar Nilsen
Support: (+47) 21 53 69 40 / drift@???