[exim] Assistance with Rate Limiting

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Eric Schoeller
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [exim] Assistance with Rate Limiting
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance for rate limiting outgoing mail to a
smarthost. I've wandered around the internet for quite awhile today
looking into ACLs, etc. but haven't gotten as far as I'd wanted on my
own. I'm hoping someone can lend a hand with a simple example / strategy
I can work from.

I'm running a monitoring system using naemon and at times the system can
process hundreds of SNMP traps in a very short period of time, each one
generating a separate e-mail notification. While I work to aggregate
these traps into fewer notifications I'm also trying to get exim to play
a bit nicer with my upstream mail routing infrastructure. My mail
routing admin provided these specifications:

10 messages per connection
100 recipients per message
10 concurrent connections per IP
3600 recipients per hour per host
3600 recipients per hour per envelope sender

My question is how (or where) should I tune exim to better abide by
these rules when sending messages to a smarthost? Unfortunately I don't
know exactly which one of these conditions I've been running up against
... certainly not the number of recipients per message (that's only 3!).

Thanks!

Eric Schoeller
Data Center Manager
Office of Information Technology