Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.95-RC2 released

Author: David Restall
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.95-RC2 released
Hi,

> On 08/09/2021 09:01, David Restall via Exim-users wrote:
> > While compiling 4.95-RC2 I'm still seeing the following warnings emitted :-
> >
> > cc filter.c
> > filter.c: In function 'interpret_commands':
> > filter.c:2018:23: warning: assignment discards 'const' qualifier from pointer target type [-Wdiscarded-qualifiers]
> > 2018 | else headers_charset = s; /*XXX loses track of const */
>
> These are expected and can be ignored.
>
> > and the source compiles clean without warnings.
>
> Unfortunately, you've only hidden the problem.

Granted (I did allude to this in the email) but what actually is the
problem that it is masking ? I didn't dig all the way through the code
and have no idea what the variables do (s ? absolutely stupid name that
_REALLY_ helps debugging for instance) & why does it need to be const :-)
) If the comments are correct and losing track of const is known about
then surely it can't be a big problem so why not just cast the result to
resolve the warning or remove the constness ? If it's a big issue, then
innocuous comments are not helpful and the problem should be resolved.
Whichever way you look at it, it's sloppy code and that should not be
dismissed with a glib response.

Regards,

lists/exim/users/2021-09-08.2.tx                               exim-users

| Dave Restall, Computer Anorak, Geek, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger  |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave@???  - Anti-SocialMediaist -  Web : Not Ready Yet :-( |

| New York now leads the world's great cities in the number of people        |
| around whom you shouldn't make a sudden move.                              |
|         -- David Letterman                                                 |