Re: [exim] build problems

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] build problems
Chad Leigh via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mi 25 Aug 2021 23:30:49 CEST):

> Hi
>
> (I normally am chad@??? but my smtp server is down at the moment and is the reason for this post)
>
> I screwed something on on my SmartOS (Solaris) based system that was running exim4. I updated some system librarues and my existing build was not finding the stuff it was looking for. I wanted to update to the latest anyway and I use my own build due to some site specific stuff I build in. I got the latest 4.94.2 and am trying to do a “make” on it.
>
> I am getting a bunch of basic errors that look like language errors…    I have tried with gcc49, gcc6, and gcc9

> This is what I am seeing (and a lot more) and I am not sure what to do next. I would expect that the default codebase should build with gcc.
>

> # make
> /bin/sh scripts/source_checks
> `Makefile' is up to date.
>
> make[1]: Entering directory '/opt/build/exim-4.94.2/build-SunOS5-5.11-i386'
> gcc -DMACRO_PREDEF macro_predef.c
> In file included from exim.h:526:0,
>                  from macro_predef.c:12:
> dbstuff.h:693:3: error: unknown type name 'BOOL'
>    BOOL   expired;         /* Retry time has expired */

After having a short glance, it seems the file src/mytypes.h having the
typedef for BOOL.

- Are you missing that file?
- Did you try a `make clean` first?
- Try not using parallelity in make (so: do NOT use -j…)
- Where did you get the source from? (tarball, git, …?)
- Can you try with pristine source and simply copy the src/EDITME to
Local/Makefile, then iterativly set the required options (should be
about 3…5) and retry?

--
Heiko