Re: [exim] Exim4 SMTP Error

Author: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 SMTP Error
On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 09:45:24AM -0400, Mo C via Exim-users wrote:
> I have set up an exim mail server for my organization but we are having
> issues sending any email from it. When I use the Seamonkey email client I
> am able to connect with encrypted password but sending email fail and in
> the exim/mainlog the following error is reported.
> " SMTP protocol synchronization error (input sent without waiting for
> greeting): rejected connection from H=[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
> input="\026\003\001\002"". I would really appreciate if some one can
> assist with this issue.

Probably your Seamonkey email client is configured for "TLS on connect",
as it should be for port 465, but Exim is configured for plain SMTP on
this port. If this is the case, connecting to port 465 via telnet yields
a human-readable SMTP greeting like "220 <hostname> ...". Check it.

Exim may be properly configured with "tls_on_connect_ports = ssmtp".
--
Eugene Berdnikov