Re: [exim] 4.95-RC0 - SIGSEGV (maybe attempt to write to imm…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4.95-RC0 - SIGSEGV (maybe attempt to write to immutable memory) & other oddities
On 23/07/2021 16:03, Matthew Frost via Exim-users wrote:
> 4192 end of ACL "acl_check_connection": ACCEPT
> 4192 host in pipelining_connect_advertise_hosts? yes (matched "*")
> 4192 LOG: MAIN PANIC
> 4192 SIGSEGV (maybe attempt to write to immutable memory)
> 96610 child 4192 ended: status=0xb
> 96610 signal exit, signal 11
> 96610 4 SMTP accept processes now running

The best-quality info will be a coredump.

Arranging one is hard as Exim is setuid. I've not tried
on a BSD, but Linux requires some deliberate relaxation of security
restrictions (setuid programs are carrying sensitive info; a
dump file has that info, leaving dump files with such info
lying around is obviously a major risk...)

Compiling with debug flag (eg, for gcc / gdb, "-ggdb")
before getting the dump would be good.
Don't worry about debug versions of libraries.

Then "bt" in gdb will give us a file and line number.

This might be something special about a FreeBSD jail.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy