Re: [exim] Set DSN Options After Reception

Author: Sabahattin Gucukoglu
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Set DSN Options After Reception
On 20 Jul 2021, at 15:36, David Saez Padros via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> I think it could be useful for messages not submitted via smtp

Postfix, Sendmail and Courier (but not OpenSMTPD) all have the “-N” option for setting DSN options.

It is surprising to me that Exim got DSN support, actually: one could have had the DSN format without the SMTP extension and IIRC Exim held out for a long time on MIME-encoding returned mail in bounces. I’m not complaining, mind, but Exim’s monolithic design means that having an argument to the binary would be helpful as it could be used as DSN-aware submission client (or to submit mail with DSN options where the SMTP receiver is offline, if that’s important). And, for my purposes, it’s the difference between implementing a simple pipe proxy or an SMTP proxy (not hard, but harder).

Cheers,
Sabahattin