Re: [exim] Set DSN Options After Reception

Author: Sabahattin Gucukoglu
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Set DSN Options After Reception
Hi,

On 19 Jul 2021, at 15:50, Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:39:24AM +0100, Sabahattin Gucukoglu via Exim-users wrote:
>> I want to turn on DSN success notices for mail after it’s received based on criteria like sender or the inclusion of a header. It would mean I could use DSN even when my client doesn’t have support for it. This was a thing with Sendmail, using the RRTImpliesDSN option which would synthesise DSN success where Return-Receipt-To was among the headers of incoming mail.
>
> Nowadays such behaviour may be considered as a bad practice, and users
> could protest against this idea. I suggest you to look through RFC 3438,
> "Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail".
>
>> Can it be done, presently, without simply routing such mail through a proxy that re-injects it? I want to do other things too, like rewriting envelope and sender headers, and the more that I can do in Exim the better.
>
> Read
> https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_autoreply_transport.html
> and around. Fuctionality of "autoreply" tranport may be implemented and/or
> extended with external script, which gets mail via redirect router with
> "unseen" option.

Thanks, but I’m afraid I don’t understand how this helps. I don’t just want to send autoreplies, I want to enable DSN. In other words, I want to arrange for a message that’s injected with certain criteria (for example, it comes from a designated address) to be treated exactly as though it had been injected using the NOTIFY=delay,failure,success argument to the RCPT to command in SMTP. I can of course just do that by proxying it through a program that re-submits it with the option set, but is there a way to do it using the runtime configuration?

This is for my own use, BTW. Nobody else will be inconvenienced.

Cheers,
Sabahattin