Re: [exim] exim-4.94.2+taintwarn - when will it be EOL?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Chris Siebenmann
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Heiko Schlittermann
Υ/ο: exim-users, cks
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] exim-4.94.2+taintwarn - when will it be EOL?
>> To rephrase it:
>
> - Exim 4.95 will contain "taintwarn"
> - It is meant as support for upgrading your config, w/o breaking your
> setup instantly.
> - With a future¹ release of Exim we will drop the "taintwarn" support.
> - If you failed to upgrade your config, your setup will be broken with a
> future¹ release of Exim.
>
> ¹) It is not decided yet, what "future" means. It may or may not be 4.96.

Although I understand that the Exim project may not want to wait that
long, from my perspective it would be ideal if the taintwarn feature
lasted long enough to make it into LTS Linux releases. Otherwise, from
the perspective of LTS people who use distribution packages, the feature
basically won't exist; they will jump straight into a version that breaks
their setup (if they haven't already[*]).

Based on past timing, Ubuntu 22.04 will freeze the Debian Exim package
sometime early next year. I don't know if Exim is in the base version of
Red Hat Enterprise, but RHEL EPEL appears to be following upstream Exim
versions instead of freezing on one (EPEL currently has 4.94.2 for both
7 and 8). Other LTS Linuxes I don't know about.

(Debian might be considered a 'LTS' enough distribution, and they're
going at a pace of roughly a release every two years, with one probably
due soon and so another likely in roughly mid 2023.)

    - cks
[*: We're skipping Ubuntu 20.04 on our Exim machines because the 20.04
    Exim version is broken. Other people may be in the same situation
    with Ubuntu or other distributions.
]