Re: [exim-dev] Patch on exim-4.94+fixes applied after EOL

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Patch on exim-4.94+fixes applied after EOL
Good morning,

Andreas Metzler via Exim-dev <exim-dev@???> (Mi 12 Mai 2021 20:08:52 CEST):
> Thanks, seems to have happened again with
> c1faf04b865465894c7ca41ab4585fb69d4a5936. How about closing this branch
> e.g. with a commit deleting all files?

How to "close" a branch in Git?
There seem to be many ways.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with removing all files (even if we put
there a "README" about what happened.

Deleting the branch on "origin" won't help a lot, as I think, as if the
next one pushes to it again, it will be re-surrected, won't it?

I think, renaming it to "archive/exim-4.94+fixes" or so would have the
same effect, as soon as someone pushes to "exim-4.94+fixes" again, the
the branch will be there again.

Can we have a branch "read only" in Git? (Using hooks on the repo can do
something like this for sure, but that's not the way I'd like to go.)

Does Git have a special commit which marks this branch as "closed"
and rejects any further commits on this branch?

--
Heiko