[exim] Building 4.94-2 from source on RHEL 6.10

Author: Richard Gilbert
To: Exim users list
Subject: [exim] Building 4.94-2 from source on RHEL 6.10
I have been installing Exim from source since I started using it in
1996 after hearing Philip Hazel talking about Exim at a meeting in
Aberdeen. 4.94-2 is the first one where I have had to tell it to use
gcc and to specify CFLAGS += -std=gnu99.

I have checked that 4.92-3 still builds on the same server with gcc
without any extra help.

This is what I added at the end of Local/Makefile...

CC=gcc
CFLAGS += -std=gnu99
LDFLAGS += -lrt

... the last of these was to load clock_gettime.

I also get some warnings...

gcc acl.c
acl.c: In function ‘acl_check_condition’:
acl.c:3202: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

exim.c: In function ‘main’:
exim.c:4823: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

gcc filter.c
filter.c: In function ‘interpret_commands’:
filter.c:2021: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
filter.c:2045: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
filter.c:2132: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
filter.c:2182: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

(I am still running a couple of RHEL 6.10 servers because I was given
CentOS8 servers to replace them but the installed packaged version of
4.94 had a bug -- https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66894 -- which
prevented the use of AUTH PLAIN with PAM, so we decided to keep the
old servers going for another year.)

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert