Re: [exim] “condition check lookup defer”

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] “condition check lookup defer”
Felipe Gasper via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Fr 30 Apr 2021 20:45:01 CEST):

> … but in our case, there’s no actual _router_ being named. For example, this is in exim_mainlog:
>
> 2021-04-30 13:04:57 H=(mail.example.com) [11.22.33.44]:12345 F=<example@???> temporarily rejected RCPT <example@???>: condition check lookup defer

This is likely the RCPT acl (because the RCPT is rejected).
It would be more than helpful to get access to your configuration, as a
starting point to the RCPT acl at least.

The deferral can be caused by any kind remote lookup (DNS, *SQL, LDAP,
…) or by any action that causes such a lookup (e.g. "verify = …" acl
condition).

> We also aren’t having much luck reproducing this failure manually, though it happens many times daily.

Depends on you tried to reproduce it.

> Is it possible to make Exim’s logging more verbose, so it would report--at least internally--which lookup is failing for which router, and why? I’ve tried adding “+all” to log_selector, but it didn’t give any more detail.

If logging isn't enough, you can get even more information with
debugging output. But in the actual case I don't think it's necessary.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann