Re: [exim] Message sizes are wrong

Góra strony
Autor: John R. Levine
Dla: John C Klensin
CC: Exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Message sizes are wrong
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021, John C Klensin wrote:
>> A friend's Exim system says it's going to send me a 7124 byte
>> message, but the message it sends using BDAT is actually 6001

> (1) I can't guess whether this is the source of the problem but,
> depending on how an MTA is organized, trying to avoid extensive
> look-ahead, etc., making an estimate and rounding up seems
> operationally sensible now matter what the spec says.
>
> (2) The intention with SIZE was always to specify a maximum. ...

Oh, sure. If the size were slightly higher than the real amount that
would make sense but they are often wildly different.

FWIW, Microsoft is even worse, SIZE=18944, actual size 9543, or
SIZE=18979/9547, or SIZE=70805/44046, or SIZE=24664/12416.

Some other senders like Google consistently send SIZE that exactly matches
the message size.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@???, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",