[exim] Pipelining QUIT after data

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Pipelining QUIT after data
On 27/02/2021 22:27, Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-users wrote:
> If this is indeed a connection closed after message delivery, there are
> a few possibilities.
>
>      1.  ESMTP PIPELINING was not used to pipeline "DOT" and "QUIT",
>          the server sends QUIT separately, but does not wait for a
>          response and hangs up.

Of interest, Exim as client has not (up until now) done $subject. It is
quite happy with it being done, as a server.

I do find, when implementing it, that both Outlook and Google screw up,
as server, when Exim does it. In both cases, CHUNKING had also been used.
I wonder if anyone else has observed this?

I see no theoretical bar to pipelining QUIT after BDAT LAST, but if
servers out there are are commonly broken I may need to restrict the
implementation. Either non-Chunking only, or a hostlist option on
the transport, come to mind.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy