Re: [exim] Fallback SMTP transport

Author: Florian Weimer
To: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
CC: Jeremy Harris
Subject: Re: [exim] Fallback SMTP transport
* Jeremy Harris via Exim-users:

> On 07/02/2021 13:35, Florian Weimer via Exim-users wrote:
>> Is it possible to define a fallback transport that is used if a
>> connection attempt over another SMTP transport fails?
>
> As found under "fallback" in the concept index, there
> are suitable options available on both routers and the
> smtp transport.

As far as I understand it, this concerns the *destination* address.
It does not allow changing the source address, at least not directly.

I guess I could set up a separate Exim instance that uses a different
source address in conjunction with one of those options. A minor
annoyance is that the message will be stuck on the fallback host, and
all further retries will use the fallback source address.