Re: [exim] Clarification on detainting in exim 4.94 router

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Clarification on detainting in exim 4.94 router
On 29/01/2021 13:27, Adam via Exim-users wrote:
> On 2021-01-29 11:25, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
>> On 28/01/2021 03:20, Adam via Exim-users wrote:
>>> There's an issue here with $local_part. Isn't it detainted by the use of local_parts to only run this if $local_part was found in the file?
>>
>> No.  The "lookup" (in a general sense including, relevant here, a
>> search in a list
>> that happens be one element that indirects to a file) done by the "localparts="
>> option sets a variable called "local_part_data" with an untainted value.
>> The variable "local_part" is unchanged, carrying tainted data.
>>
>>> $local_part_data is blank.

You've found a bug. The list-lookup-result doesn't work right when a file
is used like this. I'm working on it; it seem that an ancient compare
routine is being called with swapped args, which wouldn't have mattered
were it only returning match/not - but these days it's returning the
match string also. Fix shouldn't take long.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy