Re: [exim] More log questions

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] More log questions
On 28/12/2020 16:23, Yves Goergen via Exim-users wrote:
>> When two or more messages are delivered down a single SMTP connection, an asterisk follows the IP address in the log lines for the second and subsequent messages.
>
> How does that look like in the log file?

I=[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]*

> 2. I see log lines like these:
>
>> 2020-12-27 08:02:06 1ktQ44-0074VW-Qi => username@??? <othername@???> F=<...> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp ...
>> 2020-12-27 17:39:25 1ktZ4m-008ljc-Is => user.name@??? <User.Name@???> F=<...> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp ...
>
> It's not documented what these two addresses mean.

http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-log_files.html#SECTlogselector
Section 7:

"For ordinary local deliveries, the original address is given in angle brackets after the final delivery address, which might be a pipe or a file. If intermediate address(es) exist between the original and the final address, the last of these is given in parentheses after the final address."

> Which of the two addresses, if present, is the one I should care about?

You haven't defined what you care about.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy