Re: [exim] Queue ID format

Author: Yves Goergen
To: Jeremy Harris, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Queue ID format
Hm, okay, I don't understand enough of what they're discussing there.

For a schema, I'd simply use a spearate key for all possible pieces of
information that can be logged today. The existing labelled fields are a
start, free-form messages would be replaced or enhanced by unique IDs
defining their meaning. Embedded line breaks should be no issue at all
because JSON just uses backslash-escaping like \n. If JSON is to be used.

I cannot imagine there's a relevant existing schema that would suit
Exim. But I don't consider it important. Parsing the log is the hardest
part by far, and something like JSON takes away all of the complexity
immediately. Interpreting the parsed data is application-specific
anyway. For example, I'm not interested in lines like a passed DKIM test
or a broken TLS connection. Those don't describe interesting events on
the server, I couldn't react to them in any way. I'm not even sure I'd
use the "completed" entry for a message ID (that doesn't contain
anything else so I'd have to look up the ID from previously seen entries).

-Yves