[exim] transport compression for port 25, 143, 110

Author: Cyborg
Subject: [exim] transport compression for port 25, 143, 110
Hi,

I was wondering, do modern smtp/imap/pop connections support compression ?

If not, why not?

For SMTP it would be easy:

CDAT
OK
[length]{8B}
[gzipdata]{length}
.
OK

same for imap/pop, more or less, peanutcode.

For IMAP someone already made an rfc :
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4978/

I know that TLS compression is somehow bad for security, but bzip is
used in https webserver all the time, so it can't be a big problem, when
we compress data and then encrypt it, in general.

Why do i think it's a good idea in times of 100+ Mb/s at home? Billions
of emails get transported. If only 30% of all connections use it,
we get a 28% reduction in traffic used for mails.

What do you think?

best regards,
Marius