Re: [exim] 421 lost input connection, not logged?

Autor: Jeremy Harris
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 421 lost input connection, not logged?
On 08/10/2020 17:50, Cyborg via Exim-users wrote:
> Am 08.10.20 um 17:11 schrieb Graeme Fowler via Exim-users:
>> ...but if the client never managed to actually connect to Exim, there is nothing to log.
> In this case, you could see the messages exim sent for the smtp session
> with tcpdump, but it never showed up in the logs.

Ah, but tcpdump taken where? On the server? client? Some middlebox,
which (as Cyborg) pointed out) could be replacing the TLS connection?

And, yes, random drops are an unfortunate feature of today's environment
and do tend to induce log-pollution. Possibly, if this is was which
isn't visible in any way at present, a candidate for log_selector
+protocol_detail ? New since 4.94, that currently logs only
TCP RST received directly after QUIT (a TCP-level protocol violation).

> Jeremy:  FR = Feature Request

Ah. I call them Request For Enhancement (RFE). But the bugzilla
at bugs.exim.org calls them "wishlist".
--
Cheers,
Jeremy